Saturday, March 13, 2021

Panzer Ace Karl Brommann

 

 

Denis J. Horgan (the owner of the picture above): "Karl Brommann was another Panzer man who welcomed me into his home with my friend Peter Mooney. We spent a whole day with him and his wife. He joined the SS in 1937 and served in Totenkopf Standarte 2 and in 1939 joined the Totenkopf Artillery Regiment. In August 1940 he transferred to KG Nord and served in Finland in 1941 where he was seriously wounded. In May 1943 he transferred again , this time to the Nordland Division where he was in the Panzer Regiment. Brommann was wounded several times during the war and was holder of the wound badge in gold. While attached to SS Panzer Abteilung 503 he destroyed over 60 Soviet tanks between February and March 1945. On March 26 he destroyed six Josef Stalin tanks in one engagement. Later that day he was again injured and his war was over. He was removed to hospital and taken POW by the British on May 21, 1945. On April 29, 1945 he was awarded the Ritterkreuz for his actions. I have a collection of material which Karl gave me about the operation and actions of his unit 503, hopefully in the future when I have time I post up this material . The photos I am posting were given to me by Karl the day I met him with Peter."


Source :
Denis J. Horgan photo collection
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=162642689022793&set=gm.789533545306861

No comments:

Post a Comment